Blood tests are an important tool for us to diagnose conditions like heart disease and find underlining risk factors for the development of conditions. They are also an important part of getting a holistic picture of a patient’s health. Certain test are performed before procedures to make sure patients are in the best possible health for their procedure and prevent possible complications.
Full List of Blood Lab Tests
- Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP) – a blood test that provides information about the body’s fluid balance, levels of electrolytes like sodium and potassium, and how well the kidneys are working.
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP) – The same as a BMP but with additional protein and liver tests.
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) Test – a group of tests that evaluate the cells that circulate in blood.
- Lipid Panel – measures total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides to help determine your risk of heart disease.
- Liver (Hepatic) Panel – a group of seven tests used to evaluate the liver for injury, infection, or inflammation.
- Glucose Tolerance – identifies abnormalities in the way your body handles glucose after a meal.
- Kraft (Insulin) Test – used to diagnose or monitor insulin resistance
- thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) Test – measures this specific hormones how your thyroid is regulating the way your body uses energy.
- Free T3 Test- measures the level of triiodothyronine (T3) in your blood produced by your thyroid.
- Free T4 Test – measures the level of thyroxine (T4) in your blood produced by your thyroid.
- Vitamin D (25-OH) Test – measures the amount of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in your blood.
- Parathyroid hormone (PTH) Test – measures the level of parathyroid hormone (PTH) in your blood. PTH controls calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood.
- Magnesium Test – used to check to see if you have too little or too much magnesium in the blood
- B-Type Natriuretic Peptide (BNP) Test – Natriuretic peptides are substances made by the heart. High levels can mean your heart isn’t pumping as much blood as your body needs.
- Prothrombin Time (PT) Test – measures how long it takes for a clot to form in a blood sample.
- Hemoglobin A1C (HbA1c) Test – measures the amount of blood sugar (glucose) attached to hemoglobin.
Our comprehensive lipid clinic offers state-of-the-art management of the most important risk factors for cardiac and vascular disease. Aggressive management of hyperlipidemia has clearly been shown to reduce heart attacks, strokes and vascular diseases. The laboratory test results are available in a matter of minutes which allows for any immediate medication changes that may be necessary.
Apart from the standard lipid panel, CVI offers advanced lipid panel testing which allows a further break down of the lipid panel to assess particle size, atherosclerotic markers like Lipoprotein A, and other genetic markers. The results of this test allow the physician the ability to go beyond the standard care to reduce patient morbidity and mortality.
Our on-site state certified blood laboratory performs blood testing necessary for cardiac patients. These tests include: CBC (Complete Blood Count), BMP (Basic Metabolic Panel), Protime (PT, INR), lipid panels, cardiac enzymes and BNP (B-type natriuretic peptide). The immediate availability of the cardiac enzyme and BNP test results allow the physician to immediately rule out heart attack and heart failure. CVI’s on-site testing allows our patients to avoid unnecessary hospitalization and enables accurate clinical decisions and immediate changes as needed.