Why is this important to measure?
Is important because patients may not be obese, but they have increased body fat percentage. This is pro inflammatory. Adipose tissue produces adipokines, and they also produces interleukin 6 and tumor necrosis factor. The fat tissues of full of inflammatory cells. Excess fat is INFLAMMATORY, OR and must be reduced. This inflammation then causes further insulin resistance making the matter worse. So patients who ready have inflammation, prediabetes, coronary artery disease, coronary calcification, congestive heart failure, must have a reduced body fat percentage.
Best ways to reduce body fat:
1. Completely eliminate sugar, concentrated carbohydrates, refined starches and processed foods, bread, flour products, high fructose corn syrup, chocolates and sweets, and have a diet that is rich in plant based vegetables, and healthy meat which is grass finished, and organic eggs and of course fish. The food must look like it does in nature.
Avoid all sugared drinks as well as diet drinks. Plenty water should be consumed
2. Then, skip meals. This will get you out of addiction. You realize that skipping a meal did not cause any harm. Many times we eat just out of habit. True addiction, can cause true withdrawal especially from sugar which increases your dopamine reward center function. This causes anxiety, and sweating, but you can get over it within 1-2 days. Random skipping of meals is suggested as a preliminary to time restricted feeding. No snacking between meals. Snacking is very bad for metabolism and will cause insulin resistance.
3. Time restricted feeding: This means eating within a 6 hour window. It means 18 hours of fasting. No eating during the 18 hours whatsoever. The patient should consume plenty water, at least 8 glasses of water a day. The 2 meals can be within the 6 hour window. This will sensitize this patient to insulin, increase the chances of ketogenesis reduce at storage, encourage fat burning during the fast, eliminate fatty liver, completely eliminate abdominal visceral fat, and patients will note a complete change in the shape of the body.
4. If more fat loss is needed, then, a 3 day water fast can be done but, the provider must be informed. The provider will provide guidance about medications is at rest
5. Eat more foods with fiber: I.e. vegetables: This is to enhance the microbiome variety and amount. Your metabolic rate is also controlled by the bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, you want more fiber to attract and maintain the good bacteria in your gut, which will in turn produce metabolites which are absorbed into the body, which will cause the patient to lose weight, and it is anti-inflammatory. Since most of us cannot increased lower fiber intake to greater than 30 g, the use of inulin plus FOS is strongly recommended for all patients. Meats do not have fiber. A variety of fiber with a variety of vegetables is needed.
6. 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar daily to enhance microbiome Health. Also, fermented food diet, including Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Kefir, NATTO, etc.
7. 7 hours of sleep is minimum. Sleep hygiene is important
8. More movement: Resistance exercises, walking, slow jog, are needed. There is no need for strenuous vigorous exercise regimen unless you training for something special.