What is it?
RESPeRATE is a portable FDA approved drug free device used to lower blood pressure by altering breathing patterns. RESPeRATE uses chest sensors to measure breathing to help synchronize you to a breathing pattern with longer expirations. RESPeRATE has been shown to reduce blood pressure, stress, and depression.
What are the indications?
RESPeRATE is used as a relaxation treatment for the reduction of stress using guided and monitored breathing exercises. The device is indicated for use only as an adjunctive treatment for high blood pressure, together with other pharmacological and/or non-pharmacological interventions.
Who benefits from RESPeRATE?
RESPeRATE has been shown to be particularly helpful in the following clinical situations:
- White coat syndrome or labile hypertensive patients who might benefit from reducing stress and sympathetic activity
- Patients with isolated systolic hypertension
- Resistant hypertensive patients (uncontrolled BP despite the use of a diuretic and at least 2 other medications at maximum dosage).
How do I use it?
- Place respiration sensor belt around your abdomen or upper chest.
- Resperate analyses your breathing pattern to create a personalized guiding melody.
- Synchronize your breathing with the melody tones. Inhale when tone goes up, exhale when tone goes down.
- Resperate guides you to slow breathing and reach the ‘therapeutic zone’ which is just under 10 breaths per minute.
How does it work?
Interactive slow breathing affects the neural system by relaxing the small blood vessels which results in improved blood circulation.
When do I use RESPeRATE?
Patients are instructed to use the RESPeRATE device routinely at rest, in 15 minute daily sessions, aiming to accumulate at least 45 minutes of slow breathing per week (10 breaths per minute or less). The weekly accumulated effective time (minutes of slow breathing) appears on the device display momentarily each time the device is turned on. Patients should be made aware that results, just like physical conditioning, may take a few weeks to become fully manifested and that without continued device use, any achieved benefits would likely be diminished. Studies show that the bulk of the reduction in BP occurs within 4 to 6 weeks of routine use.