If you cannot make your appointment, please call us at least 24 hours prior. Failure to show up for a scheduled appointment will result in a $100.00 fine per appointment slot.
There is no special preparation for this test. It is performed in our ultrasound department.
You will need to remove any jewelry and clothing above the waist, and you will be given a gown during the procedure. Ultrasound gel is applied to the skin around your heart, and a probe is passed over the heart while you are laying on your back, and on the left side. This instrument will send sound waves into the heart and pick up the reflections on the video monitor. You will be able to see your heart pumping. The valves are clearly demonstrated, together with the flow of blood within the heart. You will hear noises of the doppler, and at times, you may be asked to hold your breath. The entire procedure will take approximately 30 minutes.
The results of the echocardiogram will be given to you at your next scheduled appointment.
An echocardiogram, also known as an echocardiogram doppler, is used for many purposes.
- To look for murmurs or abnormal heart sounds
- To explain chest discomfort
- To explain shortness of breath
- To look for causes of irregular heartbeat
- To look for congenital heart disease
- To explain the cause of an enlarged heart
- To determine the size of a previous heart attack
- To determine indirectly, I there are any blockages in the coronary arteries
- To determine the cause of a previously unexplained stroke
- To determine the overall strength of contractions of the heart
- To evaluate fluid around the heart, known as a pericardial effusion
- To look for blood clots inside the heart
If you cannot make this appointment, please call our office at 407-894-4880.